Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Recipe: Paleo Korean bi bim bap

My 3 Paleo cookbooks arrived on Friday and I was ecstatic. There are so many good recipes that I want to try. Sadly, I don't have most of the basic ingredients that the Paleo recipes call for. I'll make a trip to Whole Foods this evening to buy coconut oil, almond flour (I can still bake, yea!), almond milk, good quality olive oil and grass fed/clarified butter. And most of the recipes are protein-rich, requiring 1-2lbs of beef, chicken, etc. So I'm going to finally make use of my Costco membership and make a trip there this weekend to buy some beef, chicken, salmon, eggs, etc. I'm hoping Costco has organic produce!

So yesterday, I made Korean Cauliflower Rice Bowl (similar to Korean bi bim bap which Matt loves!), based on a recipe featured in Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Quick & Easy Meals cookbook. He's a liar, it took me more than 30 minutes to prep for dinner. All that grating and chopping (I need to invest in a garlic press!) took so much time. I was planning to have dinner cooked so we can eat after our workout. But that just wasn't possible. I did all the prep work and put the ingredients in ziploc bags and dashed out. I was 5 minutes late for our 2nd CrossFit On Ramp training.

We did the cooking after our workout, and that took less than 30 minutes. I guess Mark Sisson's reference to 30minutes is the actual cooking time. But it was a delicious, primal, carb-free dinner. How interesting, grated cauliflower to replace rice. Yummy and healthy. But we chased that down with a Manhattan (alcohol is very bad for Paleo diet...oops!)

This isn't a good picture. But this rice bowl is filled with microwaved grated cauliflower at the bottom and covered with sauteed shredded carrots, organic spinach and shitake mushroom and beef slices marinated in Tamari sauce, rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame oil and chopped garlic.
My first Paleo attempt...success! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment